Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

Advanced Flight Systems Angle of Attack

I am installing the AFS AoA system. It is quite important to me since as I have mentioned elsewhere I fly in and out of a very short strip. It comprises two pressure sensors, one on the top of the wing and one on the bottom, together with a processor and display. The sensors need to be placed reasonably precisely, and surprisingly to me, are located in the final outboard bay of the RV4 wing. It makes for an easy installation. My surprise stems from the fact that the airflow at the tip can not be representative of the wing as a whole.

With the kit there is a #60 drill bit to drill the hole in the wing surface through which the pressure is sensed.

In this picture the sensors are not yet sealed in place. I will probably use proseal. The upper sensor has a sump with a drain valve in case water is sucked in. It seems unlikely through a #60 hole, though I suppose a descent in heavy rain might just force it in. I am told it very rarely does. On the ground you can operate the drain valve by means of a steel probe (supplied with the kit) through a hole you can just see in the top left hand corner of the picture, the bottom surface of the wing. To my surprise it is easy to find the drain valve with the rod without looking.

There is a nice touch with the kit. They suggest you use the blue tube (nearer the sky) for the upper sensor, and the green tube (grass) for the lower surface one.

Yes, I do jump around a bit in my work. I'll get back to the tips soon. Right now I am waiting on some welding.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?