Wednesday, January 31, 2007

 

Rear Spar

The flaps and ailerons fit well in a trial , so it is time to drill the rear spar attach bolts out to 5/16th. In order to achieve the 5/8th clearance I have had to force both rear spars down somewhat, but all the critical distances have been achieved.

I was delighted by a tool that another British RV builder had fabricated to aid in the drilling of the rear spar. Very ingenious. Needless to say, he was kind enough to lend it to me. Its a clamp and drill guide all in one. Its not easy to use in the cramped space, but that is because of the lack of room.

It came with three brass inserts to facilitate drilling 1/8th. 3/16th and 5/16th. Here it is ready to drill the final hole.

With both holes drilled, the digital level is content that the wings are within .05 degrees of each other so I am happy.

Yes, that is my blood and DNA all over the side of the fuselage. I had bought a new drill and reamer for this step of the build, and I think just handling the reamer drew blood!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?