Wednesday, February 28, 2007

 

Important reading if you have not set up your flaps yet!

I am in the middle of setting up my flaps. The build manual suggests you have between 42 and 44 degrees flap movement on the ground which should give you about 40 in the air under load. See p 8-10. I have been struggling to get more than 35 or 36. Then I noticed the wording on Dwg. EF4-4. (Double click the picture if you want a larger copy.) Here is the conversation I had with VANS.

My question:
When I finished for today I was having a problem getting the full 44 deg flap movement the build book suggests when unloaded. I am probably 10 deg short. All the dimensions/geometry are to plan as far as I can see. However, I have just noticed that at the top LH of Dwg. EF4-4 it sais "Approx 2 3/16th as required". Is this an acknowledgement that this length will have to be adjusted to get the full movement? If I drill a new hole about 3/8th over I would think I will be nearly there. Stresses in the system / motor will increase of course. Thoughts?

VANS response:
Seems curious - the copy of EF4-4 I have shows the dim on the EF-401 as "approx 3". Obviously someone changed it to 2 3/16 for some reason; my guess is that builders said 3" is too long. 2 3/16 is too little, apparently. I'd just move the flaps to see what movement is required at the actuator arm, and drill a new hole accordingly.

I suggest you therefore you drill that hole after you have set up the flap push rods. If you are luckier than I,you had the 3" version of the plan, though I would think that is too long.

I started a thread on VANSAIRFORCE which you may want to review. It has some useful pictures. See http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=15409

Postscript By adjusting the 2 3/16th dimension to 2 5/8th I have achieved a full 44 deg of movement.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?