Sunday, February 25, 2007

 

Setting up the Flaps

I started to set up the flaps today. The first puzzle was how to get the hinge pin in since one end is blocked by the fuselage, the other by the aileron bracket, and VANS make no comment in the build book that I can find. One very helpful suggestion from a previous builder was to divide the hinge in half and remove some hinge 'ears' from the centre of the hinge. This would clearly work, but somehow to me it seemed a shame to break the continuity of the pin. What I have done is drilled a hole just large enough for the pin to pass through, in the aileron bracket as you can see in the picture. My idea is then to fill the hole with a small c/s bolt with a Nylok. Probably a #4, but I have not looked into that yet. The hinge will then be floating, with neither end secure, but nowhere for it to migrate to. I might well put a small circle of UHM on the fuselage to stop the paint being damaged.

If anyone can think of a reason why this will not work please let me know.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?