Sunday, March 25, 2007

 

Fuel pipe from left tank. (Flop tube side.)

The path from the left hand tank, if it contains a flop tube, into the fuselage, is not an easy one.

The problem is the F-463 bracket is in the way, the space is narrow, and you have to keep the fuel tube inside the profile of the wing, or at least the fairing. It is possible however, though I had to use bending springs as well as a pipe bender to achieve it. The result will probably make the fuel giddy with the bends it has to go around, but at least this makes sure the stress is minimised and the springiness of the pipe maximised. It is a little untidy, but this is a lesser issue since it will be hidden once the fairing is in place.


As it snakes around the F-463 the pipe is clear of it at all times despite how it looks in the pictures.


Beyond the fitting on the wall of the fuselage, I will continue in the FUSELAGE section of the blog.

The second picture is from underneath.

Comments:
Steve.....I was looking at your pictures of fuel line from tank to fuse. Looks like your line makes an upturn before going into the fuse fitting. Perhaps itis just the way the picture makes it look but,I would be worried about the possibility of an airlock here (fuel won't go uphill). I have a -4 and kept this as short and as direct (low) as possible....as I say it is likely fine but the picture tells a different story....?? I thought I had a picture of our setup but don't....I'll keep looking and send one if I find it...Marc
 
Marc - just seen your post and tried to find out how to email you. Yes it does indeed make an upturn. As I mentioned in the blog it is very hard to get past the front attach and ensure the pipe is not stressed. My thought is that the fuel will push all the air through the system the first time you fill the tank. There are in fact other high points in the -4 fuel system. For example, the fuel valve is one.

Please come back to me if you really think I have this wrong.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?