Thursday, April 19, 2007

 

Wing / fuselage intersection fairing

For the wing/fuselage intersection fairing Vans provide you with two parts. A pre-made fiberglass fairing for the front of the wing and a piece of bent ally for the rear. I ran into three problems: i) the intersection between the two parts was quite difficult to manage effectively. ii) the aluminium part was difficult to bend over the top of the wing. iii) it was difficult to terminate it aesthetically at the trailing edge.




I considered building a one piece fairing from scratch and opened my quest for knowledge on Vansairforce.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=17022

In the thread above I was urged to KISS. (Thanks guys!) Here is the result:





The huge advantage is that it is simple, and much lighter than the alternative approaches. I can always return and do something else later, but right now I am happy to be able to move on since I have been stuck on this for nearly 6 weeks.




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?